Saturday, April 3, 2010

Children are a Wonderful Blessing

It is a beautiful spring day. Spring break has been great. Churches all over are enjoying Easter celebrations for kids in the community. I helped this morning at our church. Because of the predictions of storms and the pollen, we had our Easter egg hunt inside the church. Our children's pastor set up several rooms for different age groups. He had different themes in every room and eggs scattered and hidden according to the age group level. We had about sixty kids. I monitored the "net room" for one to three year olds. Of course, there were several parents participating in our room. Each room had clues to find for a word used in the bible story. Even our room had a word that the parents helped us to find. Our word was "loves" and was used in the lesson to tell the kids how much God loves them.

I love working with the children at our church. I have worked with three and four year olds for several years. I also taught first through fifth graders for a couple of years. My husband and I do not have children. Have you ever wondered why some people cannot have children? There were people in the Bible who could not have children or were given children late in life. Then I think of my aunt. She was blessed with a child later in life and then she had cancer and was not able to see her son grow up and have children of his own. In fact, both of my cousin's parents passed away before they were able to see their grandchildren.

I do not understand these things, however, I accept the way things have turned out. I believe God has everything in control and if he wanted me to have children he would have blessed me with them. Instead I get to enjoy and love my niece and nephews and the children in my church.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you one hundred percent. This weather right now is bad on my sinuses. I love the outdoors being in the park with my youngest son. I have already been to the doctors twice for sinuses. This pollen is very bad on my eyes. I don't have small children for Easter egg hunts and my twelve year old just want an new suit for Sunday morning worship. Easter has never been a big event for me. My two favorite times are Mother's Day and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world needs aunts and uncles, too! And you are there for the children who need you. I grew up with two parents, but we were friends with another couple who were childless. They were surrogate relatives, since we had moved away from most of our extended family. I remember them better than some people I'm related to.

    You're a blessing to others, I'm sure!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete