Thursday, March 11, 2010

Daylight Savings Time

Everyone will move their clocks forward one hour this weekend as daylight savings time begins on Sunday, March 14th. Have you ever wondered why they do not move the clock thirty minutes and leave it? Most people do not like the time change in March because we lose an hour. Despite that fact, personally, I like the time frame we are moving into the best. There is more daylight when you get off of work at five o'clock, and you can enjoy the rest of the evening outside if you want.



When I was playing softball, we would practice in the evenings and most of the games were early. Of course, at the games, they would have to turn on the lights eventually; but it did not get dark as early. So it is good for those who like to participate in sports. If they would leave the time this way throughout the year, hunters could enjoy an hour longer on the stand in the evening. It also allows children to go trick or treating at Halloween before it gets too late. I remember as a child, we would go trick or treating when it was dark.



I also like the time better because I can enjoy evening walks through the neighborhood before it gets too dark. Now that hunting season is over, we can go to the deer lease and enjoy riding four wheelers. Also, we go camping in the summer and just enjoy being outside. There are several things I enjoy doing outside and this time frame gives us some extra time to enjoy them in the daylight. We get to enjoy it until the fall. Then everyone will get their hour back as we move the clocks back an hour as daylight savings time ends in November. Do you think this will ever change?

3 comments:

  1. Never Crossed my mind. I am one to get up when the sun come up. I have never been a late sleeper since high school. I had to be up when the sun came up to make the city bus to get to school. Four years of having to be at school by 7:30, with a hour and half on the city bus was not easy. If we went out of our school district to go to school, we road the city bus. School buses were only used for school trips. I was really surprised when I moved to Shreveport and saw school buses picking up kids for school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like falling back but I hate springing forward. I like the extra hour of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the time change in the spring, either, but I do like more daylight. I can work in the yard, then come in and grade papers without feeling as though I'm goofing off!

    More daylight makes me more cheerful!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete